Geraldine Mettler- Municipal Manager
14 August 2018
Following a positive meeting between the Municipality and representatives of the Kayamandi community yesterday, an agreement has been reached on the way forward. The meeting was facilitated by the Provincial Human Rights Commissioner, Mr Chris Nissen. The Sherriff of the Court and South African Police Service also attended the discussions.
All the stakeholders resolved that differences must be set aside to find a way forward to the illegal occupation of a piece of private land next to Kayamandi. As a result of this agreement, the Municipality can continue service delivery to the residents of Kayamandi.
Under this agreement, all parties agreed to the following -
1. That a joint monitoring committee be established inclusive of:
• The Sherriff of the court;
• A Director from the Municipality supported by municipal officials;
• Five Kayamandi Community Leaders;
• and SAPS.
2. That an independent audit of occupiers of the illegal structures be undertaken by the Municipality;
3. That legal processes must continue without any interference (The Municipality has been added as a respondent in an eviction case scheduled to appear before court on 21 August 2018 - therefore this matter is sub judice and we cannot comment on the legal proceedings);
4. That existing municipal projects and service delivery in the area continue with immediate effect and without interference;
5. That no new structures shall be erected;
6. That the joint monitoring committee will monitor and ensure that no new structures are erected;
7. That the Municipality continue with efforts to acquire land;
8. That the Executive Mayor requests a meeting with the Provincial Minister of Human Settlements.
The Executive Mayor, the Sherriff of the Court and the Provincial Human Rights Commissioner have already signed the memorandum of agreement. It is expected that representatives of the community groups and the SAPS will sign the agreement today (14 August 2018).
T: 021 808 8172 | C: 084 036 1395
T: 021 808 8024 | C: 072 910 3724